- Focus: Corporate Strategy, Operations, Data Analytics, and Business Development.
- Creation and Execution of strategic plan. Coordination and facilitation of executive team to streamline operations, apply analytics to business processes, and improve quality of services. Provide strategic consulting on technological solutions, organizational management, and best practices for service delivery and business activities.
Chief Privacy Officer
Harris Logic, Inc. St. Louis, MO
April 2014 – Present
- Focus: Privacy Centric Software Design, HIPAA & Data Privacy Consulting, Health Information Exchanges, and Product Development
- Development and implementation of Stella, an SAP-sponsored, big data analytics suite, which allows clients to perform predictive interventions for groups and populations. Consulted on and advanced the implementation of a resource management and health information exchange tool utilized by covered entities, jails, behavioral health authorities, and local governments for a top ten metropolitan area. Provided HIPAA consulting, data privacy/security consulting, work flow audit, and risk management services to clients. Advised software development team on HIPAA compliant software development strategies and triaging potential HIPAA issues and gaps in products.
Associate General Counsel
Adapt of America, Inc., St. Louis, MO
May 2014 – July 2016
- Focus: HIPAA Compliance, Privacy Practice Creation and Management, & Complaint Investigation
- Created and directed the HIPAA compliance program covering three states (Illinois, Missouri, & Texas), encompassing ~325 employees, spread across five sister companies. Devised and executed rigorous enterprise level risk management analyses. Coordinated and directed HIPAA incident response, risk analysis, and investigation. Organized, delivered, and managed trainings for all employees; and drafted training and testing materials. Advised and collaborated with general counsel on employment law matters, discrimination, and contract issues.
Epsten, Grinnell and Howell, Attorneys at Law, APC, San Diego, CA
2011 – 2014
- Focus: Mediation, Dispute Resolution, Discrimination Issues, & Trial Preparation
- Investigated complaints of employment, housing, and disability discrimination. Drafted CC&R amendments and legal opinions regarding the ADA, Department of Fair Employment and Housing investigations, HUD, and property disputes.
Law Office of Hudson Harris, San Diego, CA
2010 – 2011
- Focus: Motion Practice, Legal Opinions, & Small Business Law
- Represented small business owners, non-profits, and private individuals in the areas of real estate law, foreclosure, medical malpractice, CC&R enforcement, and contracts. Performed extensive motion practice and trial preparation.
Hubbell, Peak, O’Neal, Napier, and Leach Law Firm, Kansas City, MO
2009 – 2010
- Focus: Federal Employers Liability Act, Employee Discrimination, and Motion Practice
- Prepared legal opinions regarding of employer liability, sanctions against opposing parties, and jurisdictional analyses. Supported litigation attorneys with substantial motion drafting, depositions, summary judgment and sanctions filings.
Harry W. Zanville Law Office, San Diego, CA
2008 – 2010
- Focus: Labor Law, Protection of Employee Rights, & Workplace Safety
- Researched and drafted responses to union related medical intimidation and discrimination issues. Analyzed and assisted in drafting opinion letter on HR2095 Railway Safety act.
Director of Public Relations
World Affairs Council, St. Louis, MO
- Focus: Marketing, Membership Recruitment, & Client Relations
- Reestablished and built membership recruitment program with global and local corporations. Drove expansion and reach of local events in St. Louis.
- National HIPAA Summit – 2017 – Privacy
- SAP HANA, 2016 – Reduce Healthcare Costs with Predictive Analytics
- BSides St. Louis, 2016 – My Start in Privacy and Security
- AskSAP hosted by Washington University, 2016 – Stella: Data Stream Integration and Predictive Analytics
- Down the Security Rabbithole Podcast, 2016 – Data Protection
- Lenders One Summer Conference, 2016 – Cyber Liability and Security – The New Normal in Mortgage Banking
- MGMA, Webinar – 2016 – HIPAA Incident, Breaches, and Responses – (Video)
- ShowMeCon, St. Louis, MO – 2016 – Championing a Culture of Privacy: From Ambivalence to Buy-In
- Evanta St. Louis CISO Executive Summit – St. Louis – 2015 – Culture of Privacy
- Government Research Technology Alliance – Interview – 2015 – HIPAA and Population Health Management – (Video)
- SecureGOV Council Summit – Hot Springs, VA – 2015 – Patient Privacy, Population Health Management & Health Information Exchanges – Moderator
- CISO Executive Summit – St. Louis, MO – 2015 – Championing a Privacy and Security Culture
- ShowMeCon, St. Louis, MO – 2015 – HIPAA 2015 Wrath of the Audits – (Video)
- BSides, San Francisco – 2015 – HIPAA Compliance and Investigations
- San Diego Legal Symposium – San Diego, CA 2013 – Inspection of Corporate Records
- Davis Stirling 2014 – Multiple Locations in Southern California, 2013
- Webster University – St. Louis, MO 2007 – Capstone Guest Lecture – Strategy and Game Theory
- Legal Levity – Author – Articles on Compliance; HIPAA; Information Security; PHI; Breaches; and Reviews of Tools and Software for Compliance Industry: 2014 – Present
- Tripwire – The State of Security – Contributor
- 60 Days at Sea – No Safe Harbor in Sight – December 2015
- Sailing on From Safe Harbor – What Happens Next – October 2015
- Targeted Security Risk Assessments Using NIST Guidelines – Sept. 2015
- Data Security Standards in a Post-Wyndham v. FTC World – Sept. 2015
- The New Normal in Breaches, Audits, and Enforcement – May 2015
- 10 Technology Tips to Avoid HIPAA Violations, Guest Author – Hardboiled – Newegg Business – Published August, 2015
- Tax Free Trade Zones of the World and in the United States – Contributing Editor – Published January 2012
- Record Keeping under the Davis Stirling Act – Common Assessment – Published 3Q 2012
- HOA Law Update – Community Association Managers: Published June 2012
State Bar of California, Attorney 272765, Admitted 2010
International Association of Privacy Professionals, Certification 125251I, Admitted 2015
Thomas Jefferson School of Law, San Diego, CA
Juris Doctor (J.D.), 2010 – Magna Cum Laude
Law Review Editorial Board, Mock Trial
Study Abroad: Zhejiang University, Guanghua Law School, China
Webster University School of Business, St. Louis, MO
Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), 2007
Master of Arts in International Business (M.A.), 2007
George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
Bachelor of Arts, International Affairs (B.A.), 2004
Elliot School of International Affairs, South Asia Concentration
Study Abroad: National University of Singapore